Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sometimes.


Emma got her first legitimately scraped knee during the weekend.
Her little knee is red and pink with a bit of healing-yellow color.

Apparently, she cried for about a minute and a half, then when she was asked, “Emma, did you hurt the ground? Is the sidewalk okay?” she spent a minute patting the pavement with her tiny hand.
Since then, she’ll point at her knee during bathtime or diaper changes, looking up with a question. She’ll try to scratch at the forming scab.

Don’t touch it, Birdie. It’s a scratch. It’s okay. It happens sometimes.

The day before her knee scrape, she pulled a dining room chair down on top of herself. Eric was in the other room and just as he called – Emma? What are you doing? Be good, please, he heard a crash and a two-second wail. When he reached her, the chair was on the floor and the girl was across the room, bump in the middle of her forehead and smile on her face.

You okay, honey? It happens sometimes.

Don’t think, not for a minute, that Emma’s not a drama queen. She’s a toddler, after all. She gets worked up over two-second delays when she wants goldfish crackers right now.
And don’t think, not for a second, that my heart doesn’t swell and rip itself open every time she bumps her head or falls on her bottom or slips backward off the couch.
And please don’t ever think that we don’t do our best to ward off these minor (and all major) injuries. But let’s be honest here. Emma isn’t a baby anymore. She’s a toddler, and all too soon she’ll be a child. A girl. She walks, she’ll talk soon, she has her own opinions, and she will do her own things. And she will get hurt.
It happens sometimes.

When Emma first started rolling over and reaching for things and earning her first bumps, Eric and I gasped and reached for her and held her and examined her to make sure she was okay. She was our baby, our tiny girl, and was she hurt? Her response to this was always screaming. I’ve been hurt, my parents are worried, this is serious!

Then once she bumped her head on the table and fell over and it took us a second to realize it, so we didn’t gasp and scream.
And neither did Emma. She reached up and pulled herself back up and continued on like nothing happened.
Since then, we make as little fuss as we can about her bumps and scrapes. And she mostly doesn’t notice them, either. If she starts screaming, we’ll quietly make sure she’s okay, we’ll hold her close and kiss her forehead, her hair, her tiny hands, then we’ll lean back and ask her, “Emma! You’re okay, honey. But Birdie, did you hurt the floor? Is the floor okay?” The distraction of checking the floor is (usually) enough to calm her down.
(Let’s be honest, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes she needs cuddles and pooh bear and a long nap. And that’s okay, too.)


Other parents sometimes give us funny looks, when Emma falls at the park or on the sidewalk and we pretend not to notice, and encourage her that nothing happened.
But know what? Sometimes it happens.

And we think it’s better for her to learn now that bumps and scrapes and minor hurts happen sometimes. It saves the tears for the big injuries, the need-mama-now moments, the hold-my-heart-please times.

From the age when I could walk till I was about 12, I had perpetual grass stains and scabs on my knees. My mom spent an embarrassing amount of time washing dirt stains from my clothes. She warned me repeatedly that I would have nasty scars on my knees for the rest of my life. But I’m not afraid of dirt. I’m not afraid to fall.
Sometimes it happens.
And I want that for my children, too.

But I'm starting to realize that it will be far harder to prepare my daughter for a different kind of hurt -- the kind that isn’t physical. And that happens sometimes, too.
Yesterday, as usual, I took Emma – knee scrape and head-bump – to the park. There were two other little girls, older girls, maybe five and seven, playing together with their moms watching from a distance. Emma’s too little to play with these bigger girls, but she’s completely fascinated by them. She likes to walk up as close as possible, touch their hand or their shirt or their game, and smile up in their eyes.

I want her to interact with people, but I don’t want her to interrupt a game she’s too little to play. So I let her walk up to the girls and watch them for just a minute before I told her brightly, Emma, you like these girls, don’t you? Say hi! They’re big girls, and they’re smart and pretty. Look at their fun game! But we don’t want to get in their way. Come on, let’s go down the slide.
She cried for a minute – please, mama, the big girls! – and I pulled her away. We climbed up the park structure. I heard the girls continue to play. Then I heard one of the other mothers speak.

“What did you say?” She walked over to the girls. “Excuse me, that’s not kind or polite. I don’t want to hear you say that ever. Be kind.” She walked back to her bench and I heard the little girl whisper angrily to her friend.

I don’t like that baby.

And my heart swelled and ripped and I watched my curly-haired little girl run awkwardly to the swings, stop to clap her hands, then point up at the rubber seat.


There are plenty of people in this world who I don’t particularly like, and plenty who don’t like me. And as much as it hurts, I know the same will be true for my daughter.
She will be ignored. She will be rejected. She will be cast out of groups. She will likely know the heart-hurt of losing a friend she thought was close, she thought was trustworthy. She will feel abandoned and forgotten and lonely.
All I can do is pray and hold her and try to model the right response.

Be now and always kind. Keep a tender heart, my love. Sometimes hurt happens.

A while later, after the other children had gone, I turned away for a moment to put something in our stroller and I heard Emma’s two-second wail from where I left her. I’m right here, honey. It’s okay.

A minute later, I saw a brand new scrape on her forehead.
Oh. That’s what happened in the twenty seconds I walked away from her. She barely even noticed. And it’s okay.

Because sometimes it happens.



6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. And makes me want to shove sand in those other girls' mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this so much. beautiful, wise words. and seriously, i can't believe how impossibly gorgeous emma is! she just gets more beautiful by the day! that wispy hair and innocent expression are so so lovely. and far less important, but i just gotta say it, that play kitchen is amazing. absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting to feel this... yesterday Ellie was gassy all afternoon and it was so sad to watch her scrunch up her face, kick her legs frantically, and cry in pain. I cried too! Seeing your child suffer, even a little bit, is really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little girl is so beautiful. This was a good post--and timely for me, too. I've been avoiding journaling or blogging or writing or thinking because I had my oldest friend in the entire world turn her back on everything we hold true and dear and instead chose to live a life of sin, deceit, and selfishness. I sat and picked at my metaphorical scabs for far, far, far too long. But one day I woke up and just said, THIS HAPPENS SOMETIMES. Get over it. Move on. You have to be there for your husband and your baby and you have to show that baby what you do when life knocks you down. You get up and love on those closest to you and keep your heart soft because that's the only way the sin and deceit and selfishness won't win in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, have you considered freelancing at all? This was a really nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so timely. Callan is sitting up, and consequently, falling over. Most of the time it's no big deal and he doesn't even react, but we make it into one. So we say "we're going to try not to make a big deal out of it." Then he falls on his head really hard and screams and even though it's just a bump on the head, it's so hard not to just baby him forever after that one fall.

    ReplyDelete