Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11.14.09

(new listing -- click the photo)


11.14.09
November 14, 2009

I knew what he was about for at least a week. 
He started slow.

Hey, it's almost the end of the semester; we should go to Ann Arbor on a date before Christmas break.
Do you have any idea how many pages I have to write between now and then?
I started enumerating my papers still due.
(fact: I handed in almost 130 pages that semester.)
His face fell.
I still think we should try to get away, even if only for a little while.
Well... maybe we can go to Ann Arbor. But only if we STUDY while we're there.

As if.

A few days later.
So, I figured we would go on Saturday. Next Saturday. Got that? That's nine days from now.
Oh, I got it.

A few days later.
What if, even though we're studying, we tried to make it more like a date by dressing up a bit? Like, you could wear a skirt or something.
Oh, I suppose.

I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I was pretty sure I knew what was coming.

11.14.09
He gave me a red rose that morning.
We drove to Ann Arbor.
And yes, we studied. We sat in one of our favorite booths in our favorite cafe and drank lattes and I read Dostoevsky and he pretended to read and I pretended not to notice that he was only pretending.
It still might not happen today. Don't ruin a good date by waiting for something that might not happen today. But I still thought that it would. The thought made my heart flutter.

We went on a walk. He fingered his pocket. Even though it was November in Michigan, the sun was shining. It was clear, crisp, fresh, and cool. The knowledge that today, 11.14.09, was likely one of the last warm days of the year had driven swarms of college students out and about.
Let's explore the law campus. 
Whatever you think.
It's pretty there.
That it is.

I was so happy, my fingers laced through his, that I didn't care that people were perched on every bench, reading in every alcove.
Let's find someplace away from the crowds.
The people could leave. Right away, please.

But we couldn't find a place that wasn't already occupied.
Finally we wandered into one of the law buildings.
Are we allowed in here?
Probably not.
It wouldn't be the first time we had snuck into an off-limits building.

Shortly inside, we found a door propped partly open. It led into an open-air courtyard. There were a few benches and a tree with still-golden leaves. Heart-shaped leaves littered the ground. It was completely empty of people. 
This is perfect. Let's sit awhile.


We sat on the bench. My heart was pounding.
I didn't think I would be so nervous.

We chatted a bit about the day, how beautiful it was, what luck it was to happen across the courtyard, how pretty and peaceful it was here, what a great place it would be to study.
Then we fell silent. I put my head on his shoulder.
Whatcha thinking?

It was our go-to question. We asked it of each other dozens of times a day. After class, during lunch, on our walks, while making dinner, after watching a movie.

I was hoping you'd say that.
He got up off the bench.
And down on one knee.


11.14.09
Three years ago today.
Eric, thanks for asking.
I was hoping you'd say that.

1 comment:

  1. SHOOT. this gave me butterflies and got me dangerously close to crying at work. Happy day, you lovebirds!

    www.anna-bird.com

    ReplyDelete